Stop Smoking Challenge
Updated: December 22, 2020
Stoptober -Stop Smoking Tips.
Decided to stop smoking this month, here are a few tips to help you on the way:
- Review your reasons to stop smoking and consider how motivated you are – rate your reasons on a scale of 0 to 10. The more motivation you have, the more likely you are to succeed.
- Cravings are usually mild and only last about 3 to 5 minutes. They also rapidly decrease in number with time. Find some way of distracting yourself - sip water, take some deep breaths or eat a sugar-free mint or gum.
- If you have a cigarette when your phone rings, change the ringtone of your phone or hold the phone in your other hand.
- Only allow yourself to smoke with the your other hand as this alone may break the pattern or you might find you no longer want it.
- If you have a cigarette when you are stressed find another way to relax perhaps listen to relaxing music or yoga.
- Alcohol and coffee are common triggers, so change your drink or drinking water for a few weeks.
- Eat more fruit and vegetables. A US study has suggested that these food make cigarettes taste terrible and help fight your cravings.
- Sign up for the free NHS pack and daily tips.
Most smokers enter a form of trance when they have a cigarette. Some of the tips above would help get you out of that trance, but for more powerful results, you may also benefit from seeing a Hypnotherapist.
Research has shown Hypnotherapy has been found to be the most effective way to stop smoking permanently. You are five times more likely to break the habit with hypnosis than by willpower alone and are twice as likely to remain smoke-free after two years. Will power alone has very little to do with your success but changing your thoughts will make a difference.
Quitting smoking is one of the most effective steps you can take to improve your health. After one year your risk of heart attack falls to about half that of a smoker and after 15 years it's the same as someone who's never smoked.
Last year, 160,000 people signed up to Stoptober. Why not do it yourself this year?
And if you'd like some help to make the decision more permanent, you can find out more about Hypnotherapy for Habits.